- 1 packet center-cut bacon slices (cooked to crisp then chopped)
- 4-5 large chicken thighs with bone (1 1/2 pounds total)
- 1/2 teaspoon, plus 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, julienned, (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 large tomato (diced)
- 1 (15 to 16-ounce) can stewed tomatoes including juice
- 2 (15 to 16-ounce) cans small white beans, rinsed and drained
- salt, pepper, garlic powder
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cook bacon over med-hi heat, until browned and crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer bacon with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain, reserving fat in skillet. While bacon is browning, pat chicken dry and season with salt and garlic powder.
Brown chicken in fat in skillet over med-hi heat, turning over once, about 8 minutes total, then transfer chicken with tongs to baking dish.
Add onions to skillet with 1/4 teaspoon salt, stirring and scraping up any brown bits, until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Stir tomatoes and juice into onions and boil, uncovered, 10 minutes, to concentrate juices slightly. Stir in bacon and beans and bring to a simmer. Pour over the chicken and bake, uncovered, until chicken is cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes.
Remove from oven, let sit for 10 mins then drain excess juices.