- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 carrots, sliced on the bias (about 1 cup)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1, 32 oz box chicken broth
- 2 (15-ounce) cans white beans (cannellini or great northern)
- 4 large sprigs fresh rosemary, left whole
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large bunch kale (your can add or swap in any dark leafy greens)
- 5 chicken sausages, we like the Trader Joe’s Roasted Garlic
- S+P to taste
Wash the kale thoroughly. Separate the leaves from the stems and shred the greens into larger than bite-sized pieces, place on the side. Line the stems up and dice into 1/4 inch pieces (these will be added with the carrots).
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Once it’s shimmering, add onions and sauté until translucent. Add the crushed garlic, red and black pepper, salt, bay leaves, rosemary sprigs and diced ribs from the greens. Stir and blend gently until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add chicken broth and beans with their liquid, then increase heat to high bringing it to a boil. Reduce to simmer, add kale, cover and cook for 15 minutes.